I managed to complete the rag quilt I started last week. It was a great little project, something I'd been wanting to try out for a long time! Here's some snap shots of the progress:
Here's the whole pile of quilted squares, ready for laying out. (don't look too closely at the stitching or cutting, I'm certainly not a perfectionist!!)
All the squares were then laid out on the floor to make sure I had them in some sort of random pattern. I didn't do them in any sort of order, Zoe and I just put them all out and switched the squares around until we liked what we saw.
Then I sewed all the squares together. I only had basic instructions from the internet, so didn't really know which way to put the seams, but most of the methods I had read about suggested splaying them out to each side (instead of over to one side) so I did that. I wasnt sure how that was going to work on the very outer edge, but after it was all done, clipped, washed and dried, it fluffed up well and looks great.
All of these photos were taken using the Instagram app on my iPhone (no fancy photography for these ones, didn't have time for that during a sewing session!) But I'll take some photos of the full rug with my camera in the next few days so you can see the real colour and how it all looks.
It was made with 9"x9" squares, with 1/2" seams. I did 7 rows by 9 rows, which just covers a single bed. Would be nice to perhaps to 8 x 10 rows to give it a bit of extra length, but I didn't have enough material. This size covers our single beds enough anyway (just like a doona). Ethan has had this on his bed ever since and LOVES it! So if you want to sew for a boy, this is a great project to do! The material I've used is All Star 2 by Riley Blake, purchased from Flannel Queen. I cut up a blue flanelette sheet for the underside.
I have a bunch of pink/green/white material here to do one for Zoe now. Her birthday is in 3 weeks, so I hope to have it finished by then.